If you have bed bugs in Massachusetts, do not worry. There is been an outbreak across the United States that has even the experts baffled. The longest time, people thought that bed bugs were only found in dirty or unkept places. However, this is not the case. Bed bugs can be found in the finest hotels, and the cleanest of homes. They are found in offices, commercial buildings, and can be taken with you without you even knowing it. These pests are about the size of an apple seed, flat, and reddish in color. They are nocturnal, so they will only be found active at night unless the host changes their habits. Meaning, if you start working nights the bugs will switch their pattern so that they may feast while you sleep during daylight hours. Bed bugs feed on human blood and will travel throughout the home to find you. Usually, bed bugs will live within 5 feet of your bed. They can be detected by welts on your torso and legs which will have a burning or itching sensation to them. You may also find small blood stains on your sheets.
How can you get rid of these pests?
The most effective way to get rid of these pests is to call a professional exterminator. Calling a team like “Absolute Pest Management” is the best way to begin. They will send a technician out to your home, assess your individual needs and begin treatment. The complete program is not usually a one-time visit, but a series of timed visits to kill these pests in all stages from larva to adults. They can do this with insecticides, or, heat treatment. Heat treatment has found to be very effective, and if you’re going to use it I would recommend that you remove the following items from your home before it is done:
1)Stringed musical instruments. NOT the cases!
2) remove people/pets
3) remove fire extinguishers, pressurized spray cans, family heirlooms, heat susceptible ingredients, easily melted materials, and heat sensitive equipment including but not limited to:
* candles, lipsticks, oil paintings, acrylics, paintings, pictures, crayons, paraffin wax, cosmetics, picture frames, canning wax and art objects including wooden art objects, and handcrafts assembled with hot melt glue.
* indoor plants
* fruits and veggies
* chocolates, candy, medicine, and vitamins
* carbonated beverages and food products with artificial sweetener
* remote controls, audio & videotapes, records, undeveloped photo materials and related chemicals
* aerosol cans and compressed gases
* flammable or combustible chemical compounds i.e. rubbing alcohol, lighter fluid, candle oil
* cigarette lighters and any valuable items that may be damaged by temps ranging between 140-150.
With this in mind, the team from Absolute Pest Management will be able to treat your home and rid it of these pests. Give them a call at 877-600-2263, and they will set an appointment up with a technician to come out evaluate your property.